Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Conversation of Idiots

So last night was my first support group meeting for my Bariatric Surgery. It was not at all what I expected. For starters neither Drs Arreola or Ali were present. So they had one of their office staff cover for them. She did a great job considering she really wasn't expecting to do it.

Emily went with me, we actually had a very lovely dinner before, just the two of us. She was so funny. She warned me about the way some people act at these meetings. She was right. Some of the patients or patients-to-be were extremely rude. They were holding loud conversations while Jen (the staff member) was trying to talk about the surgery.

You know how every group has its know-it-all, well we did. What stunned me was it was not an Angel (someone who had had the surgery). This was a person that had not had the surgery yet. She was answering questions without give Jen a chance to answer. I wonder if she interrupts the doctors like that also. Emily kep getting more and more aggitated. This woman was answering everything.

I will admit there was a time I wanted to ask this woman to let someone else speak, but suprisingly she did answer some of my questions.

Jen did ask some of the Angels present to speak about their experiences. Another woman got up to speak, I think (but don't quote me on that) her name was Joyce. She told a really short story in a really long time. She could not stay of subject. She would mention one of her goals, then go off on a ten minute story about something to do with. I kept thinking "get on with the subject, I have already heard 10 times that you volunteer every where." Finally, Jen and I convinced Em to speak. And would you know it this Joyce interrupted her several times. Finally Emily just very politely said "excuse me," cut her off and went on with her advice.

The meeting ended early. Without the doctors there was almost a free for all. Hopefully one of them will be able to be at the next meeting. I understand that there is a very detailed presentation and a movie that is shown. I know that Dr. Arreola had a surgery, so that is why he was not there. I just hope that next months meeting is run a little smoother.

No comments: