Friday, December 5, 2008

In the beginning

OK, so here it is. My blog tracking my journey with Bariatric Surgery. You know, Gastric By-Pass Surgery. I have been thinking about it for some time now, just never got around to it. Well I have started the ball rolling. After speaking with my physician, and her telling me I was a perfect candidate for the procedure, I decided to take the plunge.

I called and am getting the referral for my initial visit, and have a ton of reading to do. As of now, I am 5'7.5" and weight 305 lbs. My BMI is 47.1, that translates to grossly or morbidly obese. I am 40 years old, and this is the time I could be getting all those nasty illnesses related to being obese.

Now is the time to take action. So I am. Taking action that is. I hope to keep this blog going throughout my procedure, recovery and weight loss. So tune back in for more. For now, I have a tone of reading to do, as I stated earlier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were your age I would have it done too. I have had 19 surgeries in my life, 15 of which were abdominal and I have a huge piece of teflon holding my innards in or I would have had it done at 60! Good luck and moral support is here with auntie.

Shelly said...

To my lifelong friend. I have known you since kindergarden and have loved you for you. I am soooooo proud of you. You have been through so much in your life and have kicked some serioius ass. I am behind you 200% on your decision. I know this will be another challenge you will come out on top of. As we enter the best years of our lives remember the past is the past and live for the future. No one can take away your accomplishments. Let NO ONE try to tear you down. I will be here for you no matter what you need... rides, encouragement, a shoulder to cry on, work out buddy, anything. I Love You Lori and I know you can do this. ~Shelly~