Friday, September 4, 2009

Recuperating Part 3

I was right, here come the visitors, Kelly was on the phone, and apparently, she was the one I dropped the phone on. Hey I thought the shelf moved, my bad. But it was Shelly that showed up at first. Then came Mom, and finally Kelly. They were all too cute. Watched me sleep, pee, and struggle to get in and out of bed. Food came during their visit. Food, glorious food. OMG, I was sooo ready to start drinking anything. Grape sugar free frozen Popsicle and water never tasted better. The rest of the evening was pretty uneventful. Sleep, bathroom, walk, meds, sleep, bathroom, walk, meds. You get the drift.

Friday morning came with the rude wake up at 5:00 AM for blood work. Did they not see I was sleeping? Well, after the vampire left, I had to hit the bathroom and walk. OK, I am up. Well sort of, I spent this morning dosing with the TV on. Emily came in for a short visit. She was so proud of how I was moving. Yeah. While she was there, I was told I could shower. This was almost as wonderful as being able to eat yesterday.

Well, the best news of the morning was that I PASSED GAS!!!!! Ok, I know TMI, but with that I can go home and finish recuperating in my own home. Dr. Arreola's PA came in and started my discharge processes. I'm so excited. Kelly was going to help me into the apartment, and Mom was on her way, know all I have to do is wait for Dr. A to show up and release me.

Five hours later that happened. With a half dozen prescriptions, one last dose of pain killer, pajamas on, suitcase packed and wheelchair waiting, I was released from the hospital at 6:30 PM on Friday.

Now my only concern was how to sleep in my non-electrical, non-reclining bed. One bed rest and several pillows later, I was fast asleep.

The next couple days went by rather quickly. Getting used to a new liquid regime was fun. Broth, water, crystal light, sugar-free jello, strained cream soups, sugar-free frozen juice pops and, of course, protein shakes. Chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. Well I liked the strawberry at first, but can't stand it now. I am going to mix it in with the Jello just to get rid of it. The chocolate is not that bad, and the vanilla is still my favorite. Unflavored Unjury with Vanilla is very good. I am walking up and down the outside hallway almost every day. My neighbors think I am cute. (I can't climb stairs yet and live on the first floor of a split level apartment building.)

Sleeping has gotten easier also. I am finally sleeping normally, but still cannot roll over. I only have one area in my tummy that still gives my any pain, and that is when I am laying down. I have a ton of projects to keep me busy and the US Open in Tennis to keep me entertained.

The next step in this process is a follow-up with my PCP, which is today. From here on she will take care of my primary care. I see the surgeon again on Monday, the 14th, and after that will be allowed to drive. I have blood work on the 9th, and will be allowed to start eating pureered food next Friday.

I promise to enter an update of how my appointment went this afternoon along with my first real post-op weight.

Until then, Stay Safe

No comments: