Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Recuperating Part 2

Sorry it took so long, I have been trying to use my time very scheduled, but sometimes things don't go as planned.

Well after I returned to my room, I was able to relax for about 2 hours. The first time the nurse came to get me for my walk, getting up out of bed was the hardest thing. I had no problem walking, accept the Fooly bag (where my urine went) was dangling from between my legs. That was not coming out until after I was cleared to pass liquids.

Well I slept most of the first day. I was attached to my IV that had a magic button attached to it. PAIN KILLERS. I was allowed to push the magic button every eight minutes. For fear of getting addicted to pain killers, and the fact that I have a very high tolerance for pain, I really did not push the button every 8 minutes. When I knew my walk was coming, I loaded up on pain killers, but other than that, as long as I stayed still in bed, I really felt no pain.

After my first adventure, I learned a lesson, don't let the PCA dictate how you get in and out of bed. She got me out of bed the first time by lowering the bed and making me use my muscles and her. I found that by raising the bed all the way up, lowering the legs, I could get out of bed on my own. Lesson learned.

I did however, learn to push the call button on my remote, unlike my neighbor (who also had Gastric By-Pass). She spend the whole night calling out "nurse, nurse". I finally had them close my door, so I did not have to listen to her.

On my midnight walk, the nurse and I came to a realization, there was something wrong. I was nauseous and very, very dizzy. I could only walk half the distance as my first walk. So she notified the doctor, and the took my blood sugar level. 201. HOLY Sugar high Batman. I have never registered that high. Well here comes the Insulin. The Potassium Chloride I was on, made my sugar spike. So, every 4 hours I was walked, pee'ed, and poked. Then poked an hour after with insulin. What fun.

Thursday Morning, still very nauseous, and very dizzy, they came in to give me Antibody attached to my IV, and ended up pulling the IV out. That was painful, and the pain pump was attached to that IV. So since I had two IV's (one in each hand), it was just a matter of switching the IV. Right?

Wrong. The nurse was able to flush the line fine, but when she plugged me in, my hand started to swell. So before I could go for my ride to X-ray and my Swallow Test, they had to find a vein to replug me in. Good Luck Ladies. After a half hour, I was poked 2 more times and they finally had my hooked up to a new IV. Pain killer, here you come. I pushed the button before even moving for my taxi.

I did not wait long when I got down to the X-Ray area. Standing was hard, but I made it. Pushed button. Then the swallow test. If I were going to puke at anytime in the hospital, this would have been it. OMG, the liquid they had me swallow was the grossed thing I had ever tasted. I finally returned to my room, and before hooking me back up to the leg pumper (to keep the flow going), I went for a walk.

Crawled back into bed and slept until my phone rang. Here come the visitors.

Part 3 will be coming soon.

No comments: